Of all of the topics we considered for this first season, grief was not one of them. It didn’t become a contender until a few days before we started prepping the episode. The Abolition X pod had been in the back of my mind all season and it would not go away, so I asked ambar if we could talk about grief, instead of the topic we had on deck. We started researching and writing, and the episode just…took us over.
Grief in education is almost entirely unexplored, but it inhabits the space completely, and that includes our bodies, hearts, and minds. Neither of us had any idea the episode would be as powerful for us as it was, and it is our hope that you will share that experience with us.
- Abolition X pod: XGrief: Mustafa & Ahwoolay, His Incarcerated Friend, and
- You’re Going to Die pod: Fear of Death is Our God both with Richie Reseda
- We’re using the chapter “To Give Your Hands to Freedom, First Give Them to Grief” by Malkia Devich-Cyril, from Holding Change (AK Press)
- Finally, we have been touching the edges of Healing Justice Lineages: Dreaming at the Crossroads of Liberation, Collective Care, and Safety (AK Press), curated by by Cara Page and Erica Woodland. Ambar called in Aurora Levins Morales’ forward and it’s fire.
- theme music: composed and performed by Alden Zac (on the interwebs here, here, here) thanks friend!
- writing: ambar & emareena
- editing & production: emareena (who is relieved this is mostly listenable)
- artwork: emareena, who loves Galactica very much, and will be occasionally posting on the blog.